The Club was formed in 1900 as The Portsmouth & District Rifle Club and it was reformed in 1945 as the South Hants Rifle & Pistol Club. The Club is based in Portsmouth where it has its own indoor ranges at Hilsea and it currently uses the MoD Range at Tipner for larger calibre rifle shooting.
It is affiliated to the National Rifle Association (NRA) and to the National Small-Bore Rifle Association (NSRA).
The Club has the facilities for a wide range of target shooting activities including small-bore rifle, pistol calibre rifles, muzzle loading pistols, and air rifle and pistol on its indoor ranges, and centre fire rifle (7.62,303,etc) on the Tipner Range as well as vintage muzzle loading and cartridge firearms.
The Club supports and encourages the safe and legal use of firearms within the current legislation and the rules of the Home Office. There are various internal competitions run by the Club but historically it has not been an active participant in the local and national leagues.
South Hants R&PC buys its shooting supplies from the Portsmouth Gun Centre.